Homosexuality-Civil Right or Sinful Lifestyle?
In this slide presentation author Robin Schumacher looks at homosexuality and same-sex marriage from a philosophical and Biblical perspective.
Here are the points that Schumacher presents about homosexuality and same-sex marriage:
- If the word marriage can mean the union of a man and a man or a woman and a woman, why not three or more men or three or more women? Why not a man with a child? Why not a man with an animal?
- Other countries in the world recognize polygamy, should we?
- Is anything wrong? Are there absolute moral standards? Without absolute standards, choice is based on emotion or opinion.
- If someone says, “It‟s wrong to discriminate against homosexual behavior” You can reply, “Who are you to say homosexual behavior is morally right?”
- Are homosexuals born that way?
- In 1940s only 9% said they were born that way
- In 1950s only 35% said they were born that way
- Today, nearly 100% say they are born that way
- Even so, if you are born self-centered or selfish, does that make it right? If there was a “Pedophile Gene” would that make it right? There is a difference between inherited physical characteristics (brown eyes) over which I have no control and impulses over which I have control.
- Destructive Lifestyle:
- Reduces lifespan of males by 8 to 20 years
- Despite representing less than 5 percent of the American population, they represent over 50 percent of HIV/AIDS cases.
- Many have had between 101 and 500 sexual partners over their lifetimes
He also reviews the Bible’s condemnation of homosexual behavior and support of traditional marriage and answers typical gay objections.