Abortion – Choice or Murder?
In this slide presentation author Robin Schumacher looks at abortion from a philosophical and biblical perspective.
Here are the points that Schumacher presents about abortion and whether the fetus is a person. At birth the fetus is considered a person, so at some time between conception and birth the fetus became a person. You can’t gradually become a person. You can’t be only part person. Therefore, at some point you become a full person. The logical time you became a full person is at conception:
- Conception. If the fetus has human parents, how can he or she not be human? He or she doesn’t become a dog or a cat.
- Brain activity begins. A car in the garage is still a car whether or not you start it.
- Pain is felt. Are persons asleep in surgery not human?
- Looks human. Appearance is insufficient to define a person. Some people have been disfigured but are still people.
- Can function independently of mother. What about people dependent on kidney dialysis machines. Are they not persons?
- Birth. All that has changed is the location.
In the following verses, the Greek word for “baby” is the same whether the baby is in the womb or delivered: a child.
- Luke 1:41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Luke 2:12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
Here are some other Bible verses that refer to the womb:
- Isaiah 44:24 “This is what the LORD says—your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb:…”
- Job 31:15 Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?
- Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Schumacher goes on to contrast the early churches and biblical view of children (objects of joy) with the view held by Evolutionists/Atheists and Planned Parenthood (mutations to eradicate). Of course Christians view children as a reward from God: (Psalm 127:3) “Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.”